16 October 2006

Two new enhancements

SINCE yesterday up to this morning, I managed to implement two new enhancements to this and the other blog.

1. Tipped off by this post from Blogger Buzz, I restored the Google AdSense element. But this time, I placed it at the bottom of my right sidebar, under the subheading "Sponsors," instead of the top of my posts. That Blogger Buzz article is quite straightforward, using a new page element labeled "AdSense"; the only tweak I made concerned the "Sponsors" subhead, which is actually a separate "Text" page element.

Changing the subhead to "Sponsors" alone will not do the trick; Blogger Beta will reject it. One must therefore put in at least one character and color it white for that element to be accepted. I opted for a period (.).

2. The second is the Firefox promotional button, which can be accessed here. But I did not like the default buttons available from the page, so I saved it to my desktop, tinkered with the text using Microsoft Paint, resized it using Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and uploaded it to my Geocities account. Then, I made the necessary changes in the accompanying script, i.e. changing the image file location to the Geocities page where it was uploaded, and the subhead ("Optimized for").

Two observations: (1) My blogs are not rendered well in Internet Explorer, prompting me to place the Firefox buttom at the top of my left sidebar. (2) I had a hard time looking for the Firefox promotion button site using Google; but when I used Yahoo! Search it was right there on top of the list.

Is Yahoo beating Google in the search game?

No comments: